24 December 2008

Christmas eve... or is it?

Our local family is fairly small- me, hubby, our girls, my aunt, my mom, her husband. Mom and Aunt are both retired. Hubby and I both work in the maintenance hangar, so holidays off only happen if the holiday happens to fall on the right day of the week. Mom's husband is a corrections officer, so he's in the same boat we are. This year, I'm the only one who has Christmas off.
However-
So many people in my department took the day off, we were going to be left with the 2 first shift guys and nobody on 2nd shift. One of them volunteered to work 2nd instead, so we'd have 1 guy on each shift. On a holiday, this should be OK.
Until goofball supposed to work 1st shift felt he HAD to go home to D.C. to pick up his girlfriend and fly back to Ohio with her. He's now stuck there, and we're stuck with no 1st shift. Since my stepdad doesn't get home until 3, I checked with mom and she was willing to watch the girls so I could pull the overtime.
By the time I got to her house to pick up the girls tonight, she and her husband had talked, and he's betting he'll get frozen (mandatory overtime) to cover 2nd shift at the jail.
So Christmas has been moved to Saturday, because we're all off then. So is it really Christmas eve? It feels like it, we went to church tonight (and only survived by ducking out to the multipurpose room to run and yell for the middle half of the service). The uber-plus to this is now I don't have to stay up all night wrapping presents- just 1 each for the girls since stepdad started talking to them about Santa bringing them presents tonight. He was rather stymied by where Santa would leave it- he wanted to say under the tree but we don't have one up. I chimed in that Santa would find a place to leave ONE present for each of them, and bring the rest to Granma's house for Saturday. Luckily, they agreed to that.
Oh crud, I gotta go wrap something.
Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment