21 December 2008

at what price cleanliness?

I came home somewhat pleased with myself. I stopped at Target and bought (among other things) a strand of blue LED christmas lights so my girls could have SOME kind of decorations to look at. I walked in to a totally picked up and dusted living room and my husband scrubbing the sink. He'd already done the stove. This is both a good and a bad thing. I really appreciate that he cleans, heaven knows I wouldn't scrub everything that much. The problem is, when he's on a cleaning binge, he gets so focused that any distraction is cause for an explosion.
I've tried to get him to realize that we'd all be happier if he would save the cleaning for while the girls are sleeping, be it naptime or after bedtime. But he won't do it. He used to start the kitchen cleanathon just after dinner on one of his nights off, while I got the girls ready for bed, which led to extreme frustration for me when they insisted HE read them stories and HE insisted the sink and backsplash and rangetop needed scrubbed. So at least today he waited until naptime for the bigger jobs. But it left him tense and irritable the rest of the night. Doesn't help that Sissy has been trying everyone's patience for the past 2 weeks straight. He up and vanished while I was getting Boo's pajamas on her. Eventually he reappeared from the bedroom, and laid on the couch. He did not move. He did not speak to or even acknowledge the girls again, even as I had to go physically remove them from the bathroom where they were demolishing things in an effort to brush their teeth by themselves.
We have the appointment for our loan application tomorrow at 9am. I have to go to work at 7, then duck out to meet him at the place. I think he still needs to print out paystubs and a bank statement, and dig out last year's W2s. If I mention it, I'll get a nasty snarl at half volume. If I don't, the worry streak instilled by my mother will run rampant. I called him earlier this afternoon, while printing my stuff at work, and offered to print his as well. (He answered with a grunt.)
Ah, no wonder I poured myself a double size glass of wine. Yay subconcious, good looking out.
By the way, it is now 4 outside. Wind chill is -20.

No comments:

Post a Comment