13 January 2010

I think that went well...

It's nice to be home.
I spent the day in Chicago O'Hare- fly in, wander for a half hour, have an interview for the Supervisor position at home, wander for another couple hours, fly home.
I don't like doing interviews. I don't like selling myself, I prefer to let my actions speak for me. This wasn't so bad, the hiring manager has known me since I started with the company almost 9 years ago, and she knows I know my stuff. The issue is can I control my mouth (I didn't, until a few years ago). The other manager she had sitting in was a maintenance supervisor, who had no idea who I was at all. That was almost a good thing. I think I gave good answers to the questions, as odd as they were. (Personal favorite: What level supervision are you comfortable working with? which at first I thought meant how close did I want someone looking over my shoulder, but turned out they meant am I comfortable working with base managers, regional managers, VPs, etc. Since the 'Managing Director of NorthEast Maintenance' is based in Columbus, and he & I get along fine, I said I'm good with most anybody, though the CEO is still a little intimidating.)(actually, his position and title are intimidating. The actual man doesn't impress me at all.)
There was one other interview today, and there are 5 tomorrow, and that's all. Our current supervisor's last day is Friday, then Monday he starts his new position in Dallas. The hiring manager hopes to select somebody and get them in right away, which in our company's timeline is about a month.
The flight home was fun, I was sitting next to a pilot who was picking up a plane in Columbus and taking it to Nashville. He and I spent a while discussing why on earth a plane would go from CMH to BNA, finally settled on something must be broken in Nashville and they need to cover a flight. Then he and I traded company gossip, because different departments hear different things. Then we just bullshitted for a while. On approach, we peered out the window looking for Les Wexner's house. Wexner owns the Limited Corp (Limited, Express, Bath & Body Works, etc). Seems every plane coming into Columbus has to do this huuuuge circle to avoid New Albany for noise issues, and flight crews have heard it's so Wexner doesn't have to hear airplanes. I can find the house (the driveway is all you can see) from the road, but we were too far south to see it from the air. I did see my house!

1 comment: